Getting Started Mobile Syncing
Sync files between mobile devices, collaborators, or your home and work PC. Here’s how it works:
- Click Add Folder button in the Sync tab.
- Scan the QR code from a Sync folder on your computer.
- Sync will automatically create a new sync folder with the same name as the folder on your computer. You can change the folder name to whatever you want. We won’t judge.
- Click Done. You’re now ready to sync.
Scan to Sync
When you create a new folder secret, a QR code will be generated. Scan and share this QR code to easily sync files between mobile devices.
You can also scan to sync folders between your desktop and mobile device. From your desktop, right-click the folder you want to sync, or go to Folder Preferences, and choose Connect Mobile. The QR code will be displayed. To sync your desktop folder to your mobile device, just scan the QR code using your smartphone.
- Tap Select Files to Send on one of the devices.
- Choose photographs, documents, or any other files you’d like to send.
- After you’ve picked your files, you’ll get a QR code.
- Scan the QR on another device by tapping Receive Files.
- Transfer will start immediately, using the maximum speed of your WiFi or cellular connection.
Note: You won’t be able to leave the transfer view until the transfer is finished. On iOS devices, transfers are not possible when the application is running in the background.
BitTorrent Sync lets you backup folders and files and your entire Camera Roll.
Backup folders aren’t connected via QR codes, so you’ll need to enter the secret key manually. To make the process easier, you can e-mail it from the application, or copy the key and send it via an application of your choice. To set up and start backup:
- Tap the Enable Backup button in the Backup tab. This will prep your Camera Roll for backup.
- Enter the secret key you receive on the device you want to use for backup.
- You can configure or disable backup later, by going to the application’s Settings.
When backing up a folder, no changes from other devices will impact your files, and new files added to the chosen mobile folders will be automatically uploaded. You can access the secret key at any time by tapping the Backup folder on your mobile device. You can also add more backup folders later.
Overall, BitTorrent Sync offers a free, alternative approach for keeping your files with you wherever you go, on your desktop or laptop using OS X, Windows, or Linux, or on a mobile phone running either Android or iOS. If you don’t like to have cloud stored data this is for you.
More at BitTorrent Labs