Plex, a popular media server, has been discounted its iOS app to $1.99 for a two day back to school sale.
“We’re running a two-day sale (our first ever!) on our beautiful iOS and lovely Android apps. Both are now available for the low, low price of $1.99. We’re always excited to hear how schools around the world are using Plex with their students, and we’re super happy to make it more affordable.(And if you’re not a student, pretend you are by reading a random Wikipedia article, and then do not pass Go, head directly for the App Store.)”
Plex for iOS brings the power of Plex to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. With Plex, you can stream your music, videos and photos from your home computers running Plex Media Server (available from http://www.plexapp.com/) and access content from a wide range of channels. Channels are available for apps like Aperture, iTunes and iPhoto, or online services like YouTube, Vimeo and Revision3. There’s also a remote control feature for Plex Media Center.
Additionally, you can sign up for the myPlex service, which lets you connect to servers shared with you by your friends, queue videos from your web browser to watch later, and connect to your Plex Media Server at home wherever you are in the world via Wi-Fi or a celluar connection, with no configuration necessary!
Plex Media Server streams your media directly from your computer, so there’s no need to convert before viewing. Plex is smart, too – if your media isn’t already in a format your device can play, it’ll convert it on-the-fly.
• DRM-protected content (TV shows, movies and older music tracks from the iTunes store) is not supported.
• ISO images are not supported.
• VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
• A Mac running OS X 10.6 or later, a PC running Windows XP or later (Windows Vista or Windows 7 recommended), or an Intel machine running Linux.
• In order to transcode to 720p (for the iPad and iPhone 4), you need at least a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo processor. For 1080p content (for the iPad 2, iPad mini, iPad with Retina Display (3rd and 4th generation), iPhone 4S and iPhone 5) at least a 2.4GHz Core i5 or Core i7 processor is recommended.
What’s New in Version 3.2.4
Another round of bug fixes & performance improvements! We updated our crash reporting tools in the previous update & have been getting lots of juicy information about real-world problems. Among the fixes in this version are:
– Fixed a potential crash when loading paged content.
– Fixed a potential crash when saving the currently selected filter.
– Updated auto-discovery code to use more modern techniques & eliminate a very common crash.
– Improved reliability of sync item creation.
– Greatly improved responsiveness when scrolling, particularly on iPad.
– Additional optimizations for paged content loading.
– Fixed media flags not displaying immediately when opening detail views.
– Fixed an occasional crash when dismissing detail views.
– Changed the overscan compensation mode for TV Out.
– Improved compatibility with newer iOS versions.
You can purchase Plex from the App Store for $1.99.